Friday, November 21, 2008

You can't sue a deer

Yesterday a young woman called my office and we discussed a car accident she was involved in. She was a passenger and her driver hit a deer. She explained that her driver could not avoid the accident, and they were in no way at fault. She suffered some whiplash type injuries and has some medical bills to show for it.

She wanted advice on how to get compensated for her lost wages, pain and suffering and the like. I advised her the best I could, but there was no case to make. She did not understand. She knew she could get pain and suffering money, but she wasn't clear on who would be writing the check.

Some of you might remember Wade Blasingame - Dog Attorney. A classic on SNL with Will Ferrell.

After 10 minutes of explaining, I finally had to tell her, and I quote: "You can't sue a deer. Deer do not have insurance and they don't have personal assets for you to chase after."

We get all types of calls at the office, but this one was definitely the best of the week.

No comments: